Sunday, July 17, 2016

Baby Shower Gifts

Some time ago I was a guest on Gracious Threads for a virtual baby shower, so now I think I post it here.
I'm known as the go-to person when getting baby shower gift baskets ready. I get this type of mesasge on a regular basis...I'm going to a baby shower tomorrow, do you have anything on hand? I'll look in my stash and come up with what is needed to make this new little baby feel cozy and comfy.



Here are some of my favourite handmade gifts for a new baby. I start off with an oversized receiving blanket, a baby can never have too many of those. These blankets are over sizes so they do last longer than the store bought ones, JubeJube still has her favourite one that she snuggles with in front of the television or in the car when we go for a long drive. 

I use cotton flannel and cut it to measure about 115cm by 95cm (44 inches by 36 inches). I like using a bias tape to trim them out for extra durability and style. If you want a closer look on how to use bias tape here's a little tutorial I posted a while ago.


I'll add bib and washclothes to the gift basket, two more items you never have enough of with a baby. To make the washclothes I cut out a 7 inche square piece of a cotton print and another of cotton terry, both have been prewashed. Using a 1/4" seam allowance with right sides of fabric together I sew all around the edge, leaving an opening to pull them right side out. I then edge stitch all the way around. They're the perfect size for those messy faces.



The next little item on the list...These adorable little crib shoes! These are the Ruched Mary Janes, and the pattern is by PetitBoo.  The pattern shop has a nice veriety of boys and girls crib shoes.


Seriously They are addictive to make!



So now we have in this gift set, a blanket, bib, washclothes, crib shoes, and I also like to add a set of baby hangers, and wrap it all together with a pretty keepsake box. The box can be used to keep the hospital bracelet, that lock of hair from the first hair cut, some photos and many other cherished memories.



Once everything is put together I run to my friend Elena of Just ME, card maker and desinger extraodinaire,  and ask her to put a baby shower card together or raid her stash.

Until next time, xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment